• Indiana University All-American (’39, ‘40, ‘41)
• National AAU Champion (’40)
• Won two gold medals (’48)
– 1600m relays
– 400m hurdles (world record 51.1 sec)
• Roy and older brother Commodore Cochran, who won a gold medal in the 1924 Olympics, are the first American brothers to win track and field gold medals in separate Olympiads.
Roy turned down a football scholarship at Tulane to run track at Indiana. His two gold medals hang in the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum, donated by his daughter, Joyce Cochran Pendleton.