Southern Mississippi (1940-1941)
• Organzied and developed curriculum for USM’s Department of Athletic Administration and Coaching
• Organized and directed the Mississippi Swimming and Diving Association, serving as its first president and created the handbook and operational guidelines still used today
• Age Group Swimming Chairman and Vice President of the Southern District of the Amateur Athletic Union (AAU)
• Organzied Hattiesburg’s Summer Recreation Program, which became the model for a year-round program
• Organized the Magnolia State Swimming and Diving Meet
Did You Know?
“Tuffy” Johnson founded and conducted community-based swimming programs which taught more than 26,000 children to swim. Working with Red Cross, he also trained and certified hundreds in live-saving and water safety.