Here are the 10 finalists for the C Spire Conerly Trophy
The 20th C Spire Conerly Trophy, which goes to the most outstanding college football player in Mississippi, will be presented Dec. 1 at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum.
The 10 finalists, selected by their respective schools, are as follows:
Marquis Green, Mississippi Valley State: Green, a freshman safety from New Orleans, led the SWAC in pass interceptions with seven, which ranked him fourth in the FCS division of the NCAA. Green also was in on 47 tackles, including 34 solos and one tackle for loss.
Javancy Jones, Jackson State: Jones, a junior defensive end from Noxubee County, leads the Tigers in tackles with 80, tackles for loss with 19 for 90 yards and in sacks with 5.5. Jones was the SWAC’s Freshman of the Year in 2013 and led the Tigers in tackles as a sophomore with 108.
Nick Mullens, Southern Miss: Mullens, a junior from Hoover, Ala., is rewriting the USM record book for passing statistics in leading the Golden Eagles to an 8-3 record. Mullens has thrown for 3,578 yards and 32 touchdowns, while throwing eight interceptions. He has run for three more toucdowns and has thrown for 265 yards or more in all 11 USM games.
Marcel Newson, Mississippi College: Newson, a junior wide receiver from Coldwater, has caught 40 passes for 656 yards and eight touchdowns, all team highs. Coldwater native Marcel Newson, a junior wide receiver, is Mississippi College’s nominee for the 2015 C Spire Conerly Trophy. Newson has averaged 22 yards per kickoff return and 16 yards per punt return to lead the Choctaws in both categories.
Dak Prescott, Mississippi State: Prescott, a Haughton, La., native has thrown for 3,159 yards and 23 touchdowns, while throwing only three interceptions. He has run for 478 yards and nine more touchdowns in leading State to an 8-3 record. Prescott, the 2014 C Spire Conerly winner, is a finalist for several national awards.
Darryan Ragsdale, Alcorn: Ragsdale, a senior running back from Brandon, has run for 7.6 yards per carry despite injuries this season. The former Pelahatchie standout has gained 855 yards and scored seven touchdowns and has caught 15 passes for another 127 yards. After transferring from Hinds CC, Ragsdale has averaged more than eight yards per carry in his two Alcorn seasons.
Hector Sandoval, Millsaps: Sandoval, a junior linebacker from Kingswood, Texas, leads the Southern Athletic Association in tackles with 105 (50 solo, 55 assists). He also forced a fumble, intercepted a pass and returned a fumble for a touchdown. He had a season-high 18 tackles in a game against the University of Chicago.
Isaiah Swopes, Belhaven: Swopes, a freshman cornerback from Ocean Springs, wasted no time making his presence felt at the college level. He tied school records and set freshman records with six pass interceptions and 12 passes broken up. He set a school record for 18 passes defended. Swopes also contributed 33 tackles including 1.5 for losses and forced two fumbles.
Laquon Treadwell, Ole Miss: Treadwell, a junior from Crete, Ill., is a Biletnikoff Award semifinalist who ranks 12th all-time among SEC receivers despite missing the final four games of his sophomore season. He is the SEC’s active leader in catches, yards and touchdowns. In 2015, he has averaged 6.5 catches and 96.4 yards per game, which leads the SEC in both categories. Needs seven catches in Egg Bowl to become the all-time leading receiver at Ole Miss.
Jarvis York, Delta State: York, a senior wide receiver from Baton Rouge, Lal, led the Gulf South Conference with 61 pass receptions for 840 yards and scored four touchdowns. He turned in a career-high effort against West Alabama with 12 catches for 128 yards and finished ninth in Delta State history with 123 receptions, good for 1,588 yards and seven touchdowns.
The C Spire Conerly Trophy is named for former Ole Miss and NFL quarterbacking great Charlie Conerly. Past winners include such standouts as Eli Manning, Jerious Norwood, Deuce McAllister and Austin Davis. Prescott is bidding to become only the second two-time Conerly Trophy winner in history of the award, following Manning.
The awards banquet will be at 6:30 p.m. Dec. 1, preceded by a 5:30 p.m. reception. Tickets ($100) are available at msfame.com or by calling 601 982-8264.
The third Kent Hull Trophy, which goes annually to the most outstanding offensive lineman in the state, also will be presented at the banquet. The winner of that honor, chosen by a panel of pro scouts and former college coaches and players, will be announced later this week. Mississippi State’s Gabe Jackson and Ole Miss’ Laremy Tunsil are the two previous winners.
C Spire Conerly Trophy voting is done by selected sports media from around the state, which accounts for 90 percent of the tally. The remaining 10 percent comes from fan voting conducted by C Spire, which begins at 1 p.m. Tuesday.