College Football Career
Mississippi State (1952-1955)
• Scored 4 touchdowns (three rushing and one on a pass interception) against LSU (1954)
• Led the team with 670 yards rushing and 10 touchdowns (’54)
• All-SEC and SEC MVP by Nashville Banner and Atlanta Constitution (’54)
• Look Magazine (Football Writers Association) All-American and voted National Player of the Year (’55)
• Blue Gray Game co-captain (1955) and two interceptions in the game.
• Played in the Senior Bowl and College All-Star Game(’56)
• Sprinter on the track team (1953-1955)
Pro Football Career
Pittsburgh Steelers (1956)
• First round draft choice and fifth overall pick of the NFL draft for the Steelers (’56)
• Suffered career ending knee injury as a rookie.
Football Coaching Career
• Biloxi High School (1957-1958)
• Louisiana State University (1959-1960)
• Georgia Tech (1961-1962)
• Texas (1963-1964)
• Lee Academy (Clarksdale) (1997-2001)
Did You Know?
Art Davis broke his leg in the fist quarter of his first game of his senior year at Clarksdale High and did not play again until the first game of his freshman season shen he startred as a defensve back against defending national champion Tennessee. During his college career, Davis rushed for 1,148 yards, an average of 4.8 yards per play, and 18 touchdowns.