• Went out for track at Sumner Hill in the eighth grade but quit because “it was too hard.”
• Won State 220-yard dash as ninth grader and later set State 100-meter dash record that would last 33 years.
• Eight-time All American at Alabama (indoor and outdoor, all four years)
• Won NCAA 200-meter championship (1983).
• Won Walter Payton Trophy as the top player in Division I-AA (1994).
Olympic and International
• Set the 100 meter world record on July 3, 1983 at the U.S. Olympic Festival at Colorado Springs, with a run of 9.93 seconds.
• In August of 1983, became the first athlete to run under 10 seconds (9.97) for the 100 meters and under 20 seconds (19.99) for the 200 meters in the same evening in Zurich, Switzerland.
• Won Olympic gold medal in 1984, bronze in 1988.
Did You Know?
• Calvin Smith Jr., Calvin’s son, is a world class sprinter and former All-American at Florida.
• In an age when many of the top sprinters tested positive for steroids, there was never so much as a hint that Calvin Smith used performance enhancers..