2015 winners among candidates for Howell, Gillom awards
Posted on: February 09,2016
Mississippi college basketball once again has produced several viable candidates for the C Spire Howell and Gillom trophies, including 2015 winners Stefan Moody of Ole Miss and Victoria Vivians of Mississippi State.
The C Spire Howell Trophy, named for Mississippi State Hall of Famer Bailey Howell, and the Gillom Trophy, named for Ole Miss Hall of Famer, will be awarded March 7 at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. The trophies are presented annually to the most outstanding college basketball players in the state.
Moody, despite playing several games with a lingering hamstring injury, leads the SEC in scoring with a 23.5 points per game average and also leads the Rebels with 91 assists and 34 steals.
Vivians leads the 21-4 Lady Bulldogs with a 17.2 scoring average, which ranks second in the SEC.
This is not meant to be a complete listing, but here are other candidates — a watch list if you will — for the C Spire basketball trophies:
First, the Howell:
• Mississippi State’s Gavin Ware, averaging 16.2 points and 7.1 rebounds per game, while shooting a whopping 62.5 percent from the floor.
• Delta State’s Devin Schmidt, a C Spire Howell finalists in 2015, is on pace to become DSU’s all-time leading scorer in only his junior season. He is averaging 23.6 points per game.
• Sebastian Saiz leads Ole Miss with 9.8 rebounds per game and also averages 12.8 points per game.
• State’s Malik Newman scores at 13.1 points per game and shoots above 40 percent from 3-point range.
• Chace Franklin of Jackson State scores 13.4 points, gets 5.4 rebounds and leads the Tigers in assists wit 76.
• Tamarcio Wilson averages 11.6 points per game for Alcorn.
• Delta State senior guard Chelsey Rhodes leads the 16-4 Lady Statesmen in scoring (19.8 per game), in assists (2.8 per game) and steals (2.4 per game).
• Ole Miss sophomore guard Shandricka Sessum has scored at a 16 points per game clip and averages 5.6 rebounds per game.
• Mississippi College senior guard Kristen Sampson leads the Lady Chocs in scoring (14.9 per game) and assists (3.4) and steals (3.4).
• Alcorn State senior Norianna Haynes leads the Lady Braves in scoring (19.5) and steals (2.0).
• Mississippi State point guard Morgan William averages 9.8 points and five assists per game.
The C Spire Howell and Gillom Awards Luncheon will be held Monday, March 7, at the MSHOF. Tickets and tables are available by:
- Calling 601-982-8264.
- Downloading Order Form
- Order Online
Norianna Haynes is a Smart, Competitive Player.