C Spire Ferriss Trophy finalists announced
Posted on: May 11,2015
Two pitchers, two sluggers and one player who does both are the five finalists for the C Spire Ferriss Trophy, which will be awarded May 18 at a luncheon at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum.
The Ferriss Trophy, named for Mississippi baseball legend Boo Ferriss, goes annually to the most outstanding college baseball player in Mississippi.
The five finalists (in alphabetical order):
• James McMahon, USM: A senior pitcher from Oak Grove, McMahon achieved a 10-1 record with a 1.73 earned run average. He struck out 48, while walking 10, and opponents hit .200 against him.
• Wes Rea, Mississippi State: A senior first baseman-DH and team captain from Gulfport, Rea hit .308 with five home runs and 35 runs batted in.
• Melvin Rodriguez, Jackson State: A senior infielder from Manati, Puerto Rico, Rodriguez hit .439 with seven home runs, 20 doubles and 64 runs batted in.
• Keith Shumaker, Millsaps: A senior pitcher/infielder from Brandon and Jackson Academy, Shumaker won Southern Athletic Association Player of the Year for the second time in three years. He hit .417 and posted an 8-1 pitching record with a 2.31 earned run average.
• Scott Weathersby, Ole Miss: A senior pitcher from Oak Grove, Weathersby compiled a 4-1 record with a 2.39 earned run average and three saves. He struck out 48, while walking 12, and opponents hit .209 against him.
Professional scouts and college coaches chose the five finalists and also will vote again this week from among the five. The coaches/scouts voting will comprise 90 percent of the final vote. Fan voting, conducted by C Spire, will account for the other 10 percent of the voting. Fan voting will begin at 9 a.m. Tuesday and conclude at Sunday at noon. Voting will be done at www.csopavoting.com.
The C Spire Ferriss Trophy will be presented at a luncheon on Monday, May 18, at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. Call (601) 982-8264 for tickets or purchase online at msfame.com.