First 3 C Spire Conerly finalists named

Posted on: November 18,2014

Mississippi State quarterback and All-America candidate Dak Prescott is among the first three finalists named for the C Spire Conerly Trophy to be presented Dec. 1.

 Mississippi’s 10 football-playing senior colleges have until Nov. 24 to announce a finalist for the trophy that goes to the state’s most outstanding player. All 10 schools select their own finalists. Joining Prescott as finalists are Belhaven wide receiver Greg Livingston and Mississippi College defensive back Dylan Klibert.

 Prescott, a junior from Haughton, La., has led the Bulldogs to three victories over teams that were unbeaten and ranked among the nation’s top 10 when they played Mississippi State. He has passed for 2,521 yards and 20 touchdowns and run for 861 yards and 11 touchdowns.

 Livingston, a senior from Houston, has averaged 122 yards receiving per game with 117 catches for 1,341 yards and eight touchdowns.

 Klibert, a senior from LaPlace, La., intercepted two passes and was in on 48 tackles, including seven for lost yardage.

 The C Spire Conerly Trophy will be awarded Dec. 2 at the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame and Museum. Among past winners are such prominent future NFL standouts as Deuce McAllister, Eli Manning, Jerious Norwood, Michael Boley, Patrick Willis, Anthony Dixon and many others.  Earlier this year, McAllister, the leading rusher and touchdown scorer in Ole Miss and New Orleans Saints history, was the first C Spire Conerly winner inducted into the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame.  Last year’s winner was Mississippi State offensive lineman Gabe Jackson, now with the Oakland Raiders.

 As was the case last year, fans will have a say-so in the voting. Fan voting conducted by C Spire will account for a weighted 10 percent of the voting. Voting by a statewide panel of media will acount for the other 90 percent.

 Just as the media voters do, fans will vote for a first place, second place and third place winner. Fans will be able to vote by Facebook, Twitter and via text messaging. Fans may submit up to three votes per day during the voting period; however, only one entry is allowed per day for each of the social media methods.  For entry rules and qualifications on fan voting, go to beginning on Nov. 25.

 The Dec. 2 banquet, at which the second annual Kent Hull Trophy also will be presented to the top college lineman in Mississippi, is nearing a sellout with limited seating. Contact the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame at 601982-8264 for tickets or more details.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


Enjoy this blog? Please spread the word :)