Updated May 9: C Spire Ferriss Trophy Watch list
Posted on: May 09,2016
What follows is an updated (Monday, May 9) C Spire Ferriss Trophy watch list. The trophy will be awarded May 23 at a luncheon at the Cleveland Country Club.
The Ferriss Trophy, named for Mississippi and Major League baseball legend Boo Ferriss, goes annually to the state’s most outstanding college baseball player. Unlike the other C Spire most outstanding player awards, the media is not involved in the voting, which is done primarily by Major League Baseball scouts and college coaches, with fan voting accounting for 10 percent of the final tally.
In this 2016 season of so much achievement by Mississippi’s college teams, plenty of candidates for the C Spire Ferris have emerged, including these on the Ferriss Trophy watch list compiled by Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame historian Rick Cleveland with help from scouts and coaches.
In alphabetical order:
• Brady Bramlett, Ole Miss, Jr., RHP: Rebels’ Friday night ace has a 6-2 record with 78 strikeouts and 19 walks in 62.2 innings. His earned run average is 3.02 and teams are hitting. 242 against him.
•Adrian Brown, William Carey, JR. OF: Hitting .378 with 15 doubles, two triples, four home runs and 41 runs batted in. Has stolen 25 bases in 28 attempts.
• Cornelius Copeland, Jackson State, Jr. INF: Hitting .441 with 16 doubles and four home runs. Slugging percentage of .634 and five stolen bases.
• Carlos Diaz, Jackson State, Jr. C: Hitting .404 with 12 doubles, two triples, five home runs and 52 runs batted in. Has an on base percentage of .460 and a slugging percentage of .600.
• Terrell Hodges, Belhaven, Jr., OF: Led the Blazers with a .397 batting average and 30 stolen bases in 37 attempts. Hit four doubles, three triples, seven home runs and had a slugging percentage of .651.
• Dakota Hudson, Mississippi State, Jr. RHP: State’s Friday night ace has a 7-3 record, a 2.80 earned run average and has struck out 85 and walked 26 in 80.1 innings. Opponents are hitting .245 against him.
• Reid Humphreys, Mississippi State, Jr. OF, INF, RHP: Versatile athlete who hits .331 with 15 doubles, two triples and four homers. Leads the Bulldogs with 40 runs batted in and a slugging percentage of .541. On the mound, he leads ‘Dogs with six saves. Has 23 strikeouts, compared to five walks, in 18.1 innings.
• Tim Lynch, Southern Miss, Sr., 1B: Hits .351 with nine doubles and eight home runs and a team leading 49 runs batted in. Has a slugging percentage of .527.
• Jake Mangum, Mississippi State, Fr. OF: Leads team and ranks second in the SEC in hitting with a .414 average. Has six doubles, three triples and one home run and an on base percentage of .464.
• Will Robertson, Delta State, Sr., OF: Leads Gulf South Conference in hitting at .446 with 27 doubles and eight home runs. Has batted in 69 runs and has a slugging percentage of .710.
• Jake Sandlin, Southern Miss, Sr., OF: Leads Southern Miss in hitting and is fourth in league with a .377 average with 12 doubles, three triples and four home runs. Perfect fielding percentage with three assists from CF.
• Nick Sandlin, Southern Miss, Fr., P: Younger brother of Jake, the USM closer leads team with nine saves. Has a 3-2 record with 34 strikeouts and 14 walks over 33 innings. Teams hit just .197 against him.
• Jesus Santana, Jackson State, INF: Leads team with 16 home runs and 56 RBIs. Hits .276 with a slugging percentage of .621.
• Wyatt Short, Ole Miss, Jr. LHP: Rebels’ closer leads the team in saves with nine with a 1.99 ERA. Has struck out 23 and walked five in 31.2 innings. Opponents batting .239 against him.
• J.B. Woodman, Ole Miss, Jr., OF: Hitting .317 with 11 doubles and a team-leading 10 home runs. Has knocked in 42 runs and has a slugging percentage of .544. Has nine assists from the outfield.
Tickets to the awards luncheon are going fast. To order, call 601 982-8264.
Leave a Reply